About the emergency grants
Emergency grants are grants of up to £150 to help people with cystic fibrosis (CF) of any age, and those who care for them, when they are in immediate financial need and/or they are applying for an item or service that is urgently needed in order to stop their health deteriorating.
Examples can include but are not limited to:
- Where there has been a loss of income due to a period of illness and the grant can be used to provide short term help with day to day expenses
- Where there has been a loss of benefits and the grant can be used to provide short term help with day to day expenses
- Where there has been an unplanned and unexpected hospital admission and the grant can pay for travel costs to and from hospital for the person with CF or their family/carers
- Emergency household repairs
- Services such as professional cleaning of the home where the level of dust/mould would have an immediate negative impact on health
- Replacement of white goods where the lack of the item is causing an immediate negative impact on health (e.g. where the fridge is broken and is needed to store medicine, or the washing machine has broken and handwashing clothes is leading to problems with damp).
Find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about our emergency grants below.
Please read the grant guidelines before completing your application.
Please complete the application form and email it or post it to the address on the bottom of the form.
The grants are usually for £150, however this can be increased in exceptional circumstances. Please contact the helpline on 0300 373 1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to discuss this.
These grants are processed weekly and if your application is successful, the grant will be paid straight in to the bank account named on your application form via BACS within 10 days of us receiving a complete application.
The application form can be completed by the person with CF, their parent, partner or someone from their CF team. Whoever completes the form, it is important that the person named on the form as the applicant is the person with cystic fibrosis. There is space below this to enter your details if you are completing the form on their behalf.
Emergency grants will be assessed on an individual basis, but in general the following guidelines apply:
- We cannot fund routine travel costs such as planned hospital admissions for IVs and clinic appointments.
- We cannot fund towards existing debts, loans or credit card bills.
- We cannot meet ongoing costs such as rent or mortgage payments.
Emergency grants are assessed on a case by case basis, so they can be applied for as and when needed. However, our limited resources mean we cannot meet ongoing costs, so would be unable to accept multiple applications from the same applicant for the same emergency situation. If you are unsure about this, please contact us before making your application.
Yes. We need the supporting statement to be completed by a member of your CF team. If this is proving difficult please do get in touch with us.
Yes. Please call our helpline on 0300 373 1000 or email email@example.com if you have any questions about any of our grants.